Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Night lights

I like lights. Night lights. I've heard that a lot of people do. I think it has to do with the feeling of not being alone. I like flying at night, the sight when you look down and see the lights from a city...

So, of course I had to get some pictures. I already knew where to take the photos, in the middle of the highway. Of course. But no, safety first, always! So, equipped with reflector vests and a whole lot of common sense (can I get a 'Halleluja'?), I dragged my partner-in-crime Heidi along to get some night light photos. There was a surprisingly high number of cars driving by, then again, delivery trucks are out all around the clock. Didn't see the police, though... Maybe for the best.

I was surprised when I didn't need as long a shutter speed as I had thought. But, true, there is a lot of light at the highway, especially when the surface of the road is a little wet, it reflects light pretty nicely. I got a whole bunch of nice pictures, so many it was hard to choose which ones to photoshop and, the reason I set out on this venture, which one to pick for my Facebook cover photo. The reasons are many....

I photoshopped a couple of photos. I tried also to change the settings for the photo initially when I open the photo in Photoshop, but it didn't turn out as well, there were color nuance differences. Better to work with layers in Photoshop.

First picture, taken from the bridge over the highway:


I kind of like that picture. I cropped it and added some black to get a nice overall feeling. I really like the way the lights shine and reflect off the road and the lights in the background, giving the impression that the road just continues. Makes me wonder where I'll end up if I follow it. But it was the second picture I was out to get:


I saw this sight when I was driving home one night and immediately knew I had to get a photo of this. I really like feeling this sight gave me, I felt very calm and relaxed when I saw this. I just hope I have been able to capture that feeling.

This was a really nice experiment and I will do it again. Just need to find something to shoot. Hail Christmas.....

No comments:

Post a Comment