Friday, November 7, 2014

Trying out my new Canon EOS 1200D

Yesterday it happened. Canon EOS 1200D joined my family, together with a EF 50/1,8 II lens. I felt like a 5-year old yesterday when I got to try it out. Maybe the chocolate the supplier sent had something to do with that feeling...? Yesterday was for learning to operate the camera. I did actually read the instruction leaflet, but that does not guarantee understanding. I managed to find the on/off switch on my own actually. Damn proud of myself for that one. I also installed the software on my computer, Canon has its own Digital Photo Professional application, which lets you do some basic editing. And if you register your product, you also get access to Canon iMAGE GATEWAY that lets you store, share, play and print. I registered myself but haven't used it yet, it looked very useful, though.

Today it was time for some real time testing. My good friend and tutor Heidi helped me out. We took it outdoors today. We had found a nice looking pond earlier and we headed for that just to see what it would look like today. The weather was nice, cloudy, a few degrees minus (Celcius) and a bit of snow. I got a nice picture too:


Heidi of course encouraged me to test everything and also had some very nice suggestions:


Both photos only had minor adjustments in DPP (Digital Photo Professional), the manual settings on the camera did the job. It's quite interesting fooling around with ISO and AFs and stuff. Some of the automated settings are very good looking too. This camera is a really nice toy! I'm enjoying myself, it's been a long time since I have had this much fun. Can you believe it? I had never thought that it would make me this happy to run around in the park, wearing a cap and a nice thermo overall, looking for something that might or might not look good, try and get the camera settings right in order to actually make said something look good and then try and make said something look even better with the help of the computer. No wonder they sent chocolate...

As the good and dedicated tutor Heidi is, she of course set the standards for proper photographer behavior:


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment