Sunday, November 30, 2014

Studio time

Flexibility is the key. That and a whole lot of back-up plans. Or, more accurately, a whole lot of ideas ready to be carried out. The plan for today was to shoot an outdoor series with a fake sun, but since the weather did not agree with our plans, we ended up in the studio. The fastest route following quick trips to the grocery shop and the pharmacy. Accessories, you know? Yes, that would be chocolate.

I've had this idea for a while and now the time had come to carry it out. My wonderful tutor Heidi kindly agree to model for me, even though she knew I would have to make her look bad. And of course, it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get her to shut up. But boy, was I wrong... She knows how to speak without moving her lips! Bugger...

For once I had an idea about the lights and how to position them. How about that? I almost got it right, too. Who would have guessed? I was actually quite shocked by the fact that Heidi didn't need to correct much of anything, but I (again) managed to keep a straight face and pretend that I got it right on purpose. I'm getting pretty good at that. Please don't tell Heidi.

I was surprised when I realized just how much I like it in the studio. I haven't been there that many times, but somehow it feels cozy. I like it. The challenge you face every time, the challenge of getting the photo you want, to get the lights right, to get the right angle, to get the right expression on the model's face; that's something special.

It is easy to work with Heidi. Being a photographer herself, she know exactly how to pose to get the best of her. For a rookie like me, that's of invaluable help. There are still too many factors I need to keep in mind regarding the camera, my brain cells can't handle any more. I'm still focusing on ISO, aperture and shutter speed. And most of the time I do like Heidi says anyway, but to my defense I like to state that I do try. Results vary, though.

We got pretty good photos. Good drafts for the Photoshop session. That's the trick, what I get from the camera is only a draft. The photo will get it's final look in Photoshop. No, I don't do the kind of photoshopping that all the media fuzz is about, I don't change people's shapes to make someone skinnier, that's no good. I don't like that kind of photoshopping, I don't like what it does to young girls and their self esteem.

Anyway, I like photoshopping. I like the challenge and the chocolate that comes with it. Chocolate is part of photoshopping, no arguing there. Candy will do if you don't have chocolate, but you need something to get you going. And yes, it is a damn good excuse, of course I use it! I'm blonde, but not that blonde. Y'all get it?

So, I fought the photoshop for a while. After that I realized how to do the picture so I started over. This time was good, I only needed two tries. I'm getting there. Or, what do you guys say?

"Abused"

No comments:

Post a Comment