Sunday, November 9, 2014

Off we go

I had a very lovely weekend, together with my camera and my good friend/tutor Heidi. And Heidi's horse, Poni. Poni is not only a kick-ass horse (pun intended), he's also an experienced model. He did give me the look of 'noooo, not you too!!' when I took out my camera, but he did a good job posing. Or what do you say? (He's the one on the left.)

"Still loving you."

I've spent quite some time cursing over both DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and GIMP, a free-ware application I use instead of Photoshop. GIMP and Photoshop are supposed to be quite the same, although GIMP lacks the tutorials and the support that comes with Photoshop. But GIMP is free-ware, and at this point quite sufficient for my needs. And yes, it comes with the little lasso tool. Chocolate to be purchased separately.

My camera also comes with a next to fool-proof feature, the Creative Auto-feature. You'll find settings for taking warm/cold, soft/intense or darker/brighter pictures. There's also a little feature called 'Monochrome filters', with blue, black-white or sepia toning. Me like!!


You did notice I said 'NEXT to fool-proof', didn't you? No guarantees just because the camera can, it's also about the person holding said camera. And the amount of chocolate available for use in photo processing. And if I may remind you, this person is blonde, irrevocably and hopelessly blonde. You have been warned.

I like the DPP application, it's so easy to curse at and also gives you many reasons to. You might want to consider another application if you're married. Or a more powerful computer. It also uses some crazy CR2-file that other programs have trouble reading. That's what you get for taking RAW-pictures with your camera. However, the quality is better, so I use it. Sometimes. (Read, whenever I remember to.) DPP have really nice and easy ways to enhance the basic features in the picture, like brightness, saturation and contrast. It can save a picture even though settings on the camera were off. Well, it can't do wonders, but it can do some nice shit. Like this:

And then there was light.

I found that DPP is not that hard to learn and it is pretty nice to use too. You can do a lot in DPP, and there is a really nice tutorial on YouTube: Canon Digital Photo Professional - What is DPP.

And now for some more chocolate and GIMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment